What We Do and Who We Are
MSG is responsible for several essential functions at the Perelman School of Medicine:
- Meeting with school administration on a monthly basis to discuss student body needs and new initiatives.
- Allocating the annual student activities budget to PSOM's 70+ student organizations.
- Planning class-based and school-wide social events such as the annual Welcome Week and Winter Formal.
- Aiding in the selection of student representatives for key faculty committees such as Admissions and Curriculum.
- Liaising with the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly (GAPSA), which is the governing body for Penn’s 12 graduate schools.
MSG is comprised of both elected officers and unelected class representatives.
- Elected officers, including the executive board and MS2/MS3/CDYO/MS4 class co-chairs, are voted into office in the spring.
- MS1 class co-chairs are elected when their class arrives in the fall.
- Class treasurers are elected for a four-year term.
- Any PSOM student may serve as a class representative without being elected, and all students are invited to attend the monthly MSG General Body Meetings to voice suggestions and ask questions.