Carrie Renner, Associate Director of Student Affairs
1. Do you have any hobbies or secret talents?
Synchronized swimming, trombone playing, reading, and working out. Is there something you consider yourself to be very good at? I've been teaching group exercise classes for over six years and it’s my favorite before-and-after work activity.
2. What do you do like to do on the weekends or in free time?
Ride my Vespa around the city, read books, spend time with my husband, and play with my cat, Santa.
3. What is your favorite type of food or restaurant?
Probably Mexican or Thai. I can't get enough spice.
4. Do you like to cook, and do you have a signature dish?
I got really good at making cake pops a few years ago, although that's technically baking. It took a lot of practice and I'm proud that I can do it well now.
5. Do you have a favorite book or movie?
My favorite author is Ian McEwan, and his book Saturday is my favorite (the main character is a neurosurgeon!).
6. What’s your favorite ’90s jam?
Bittersweet Symphony. Do you consider that a ‘90s jam? I played the cassette single until the actual tape broke and then put it back together with scotch tape- it worked!
7. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see play the lead role?
I pick Greta Gerwig, even though she’s way too cool for me.
8. What's your spirit animal?
Border Collie Husky mix. Because: It is the offspring of two highly popular, intelligent breeds, it is almost guaranteed to be a good-natured dog with the right handling and it is undeniably attractive. Just kidding! Probably a cat because I love sunbeam naps.
9. Is there anything you would want to say to Penn med students?
Come say hello! The best part of working at the med school is getting to know the you, the students. You do incredibly interesting things, and it’s fascinating to hear your stories. Also, I go to Honey’s on South Street for the breakfast special frequently. If you ever want a breakfast date you can count me in.
10. Anything else you’d like to include about yourself!
If you are interested in getting a great workout, I’ll take this opportunity to promote my classes at City Fitness on South and 21st. We always have fun and it gives you the opportunity to get super sweaty with other med students, residents, and faculty- which, be honest, who wouldn’t want?