How It Works
MSG receives ~$38,000 annually from GAPSA to fund PSOM's 70+ student organizations.
- The MSG fiscal year is February - January.
- Annual funding applications are due in January and allocation decisions are announced in February.
- Emergency funds of up to $100 may be allocated on a case-by-case basis.
MSG funds may be used for funding the events/activities stated in a student group’s annual funding application, including food, goods/materials, and local transportation (subject to the restrictions outlined below).
MSG funds may NOT be used:
- in excess of a student group’s allocated funds for the fiscal year.
- to reimburse money spent on taxes (e.g. sales tax). The University of Pennsylvania is a tax-exempt institution and cannot reimburse students for money that they have spent on taxes.
- to reimburse students for alcohol, in accordance with University policy.
- to pay for or reimburse gift certificates, in accordance with University policy.
- for conferences.
- to pay for excessive transportation costs (e.g. air fare, tanks of gas).
- to fund dinners or events that are only open to small subsets of students.
- to pay for restaurant meal expenses in excess of $10 per person.
There are two ways to use the funds allocated by MSG:
- Via Purchase Order (PO), the preferred and more convenient option.
- A PO is a payment made by the University directly to a vendor. This must be arranged BEFORE the event/activity takes place.
- POs are only accepted by a specific list of Penn-approved vendors.
- To use this option, obtain a quote from your selected vendor (including tip if applicable but not tax) and then submit a request through our online form at least 4 business days prior to your event.
- Via personal reimbursement
- A student pays for the expense out-of-pocket and then submits receipts for reimbursement AFTER the event takes place.
- This option can be used with ANY vendor.
- To use this option, check out our reimbursement request form and follow the steps inside.
Using the Funds
GAPSA allocates ~$8,000 to MSG to be specifically used for inter grad school events. We do not include this money in our annual funding cycle; you may apply for it at any time in conjunction with another grad school. You can view the application and apply for funding here.